Monday, April 16, 2007

Story Progress III

I worked diligently on the story Friday and Saturday, although it was very slow going...I'd write a few paragraphs, go get some coffee, write a few more lines, check my email, drag myself back to the story...you get the picture. Finally around midnight on Saturday, when everyone else was gone to bed, I wrote the final few paragraphs.

The program hung when I tried to save the file. I waited, waited, unbelieving. I could see most of what I'd just written on the screen, so before I did anything drastic I grabbed a notebook and copied it down, just in case. Good thing, too, because I did finally get the program to close, but it didn't save, and the recovered document had none of those final passages. I lost only about one paragraph, so I quickly re-wrote it as best I could. The next day I re-typed it in and saved successfully.

I have no idea if the story is any good. I know it's about 1500 words over the limit so I have some major trimming to do, but I think the beginning is rather rambling anyway, so that should sort itself out. The thing is, I won't be able to put it away for a while to simmer, then take it out again in a few weeks' time. I'll have to look at it briefly this week, then hand it off to my trusty readers for opinions. That will be difficult! But it's the only way I'll be able to have it shipshape by the deadline.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to chuckle at your "slow going" description. I was exactly the same until Gary said "I thought you were supposed to be writing" during one of my many trips around the house looking out windows etc.

That made me sit in the chair, even if I sat staring at the blank wall behind the laptop.

I made it though, and I have words to cut too.

Who said deadlines were a good thing?

2:34 AM  
Blogger DINTOONS said...

nice blog!
all the very best in all your creative endeavours! :)

5:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home