Friday, April 06, 2007

Gathering of the Blogs 2007 - Clans Hay and Ramsey


Clan Hay ~ I have Scottish roots through my maternal grandfather, George Thomas Hay. Although he was born here in Nova Scotia, his father, Alexander Wilson Hay, was born in Glenmavis, County of Lanark, Scotland in October of 1874. He came to Canada from Caldercruin about the year 1900 and worked for the Nova Scotia Steel & Coal Company, in the company store and also as Pattern Keeper at the company foundry.


This is the Hay Tartan (the ancient version). I remember when I was a child one of my aunts had a long pleated skirt in this tartan. It was terribly heavy and the wool very scratchy, but I thought it was extremely cool and great fun for playing dressup.





Clan Crest Hay - courtesy of www.scotclans.com This is the Hay crest, which is properly described as "Issuing out of a Crest Coronet, a falcon volant Proper, armed, jessed, and belled Or." You can also see the Motto, which is "Serva Jugum." My grandfather used to joke that the motto meant "Pass The Jug," (which was especially funny as he was not a drinking man) but in actual fact it means "Keep the Yoke."




A few other tidbits about the name/clan:
* Gaelic Names: MacGaraidh (Surname) & Clann 'icGaraidh (Collective).
* Slogan: "A Hay! A Hay!".
* Pipe Music: "Delgaty Castle".
* Plant Badge: Mistletoe.
* Animal Symbol: Falcon.
* Arms: Argent, three escutcheons Gules

Clan Ramsey ~ I also married into a family with a Scottish name, although the "proper" Scottish spelling seems to be "Ramsay." However, I am taking all things pertaining to Ramsay to pertain equally to Ramsey.

This is one of the Ramsey tartans; the modern version is red but I like the blue hunting version of this one. I haven't been able to uncover as much about the family history for this name, although the "distance" from Scotland seems to be about the same; my husband's great-grandfather was born in Scotland.



Clan Crest Ramsay - courtesy of www.scotclans.com The Ramsey crest is "A unicorn’s head couped Argent armed Or," and the Motto is "Ora Et Labora," which means "Pray and Work."

More about the Clan/Name:
* Gaelic: Ramsaidh
* Plant Badge: Blue Harebell
* Arms: Argent, an eagle displayed Sable




Here's the updated blogroll of all participants:

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Sherry, Clan Ramsey has a rich and colorful history in the US and Scotland. The roots of the clan go all the way back to 1066, the Norman invasion of England, and from there I believe we go back to Norse lands. The 'rams' piece of the name can be found on many old Norse surnames. There is the Gaelic pronounciation of Ramsey, Ramsaidh, but the name is not Gaelic in origin.

I don't have much on the family on my site, patramsey.net, but I would be glad to put you in touch with some of the Ramsey info I've found.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home