Friday, September 28, 2007

eMate Update

I mentioned picking up a Newton eMate 300 a little while back. I now have the capability to connect it to my PC to export files that I create on it. I had to find the proper cable, and hoping to pick up some advice I joined the NewtonTalk list server. What a wealth of information! It's a very active list and after I asked where I might find such a cable, the replies came thick and fast. I found an online store and ordered one.

I should have held off a little longer as someone on the list offered to send me one for only the price of shipping from Holland, but mine was already ordered. Live and learn!

Anyway, the cable arrived today, I downloaded the Newton connection program from the United Network of Newton Archives, and installed the program. It took me about ten minutes of fiddling with my serial connection settings and ping! I had a connection. Now I can export any files I create on the eMate onto my PC in .rtf format, quick as a wink.

The last thing I'd like is a new battery for it--the one it came with works, but doesn't hold a charge for as long as it could. There are instructions on the 'net for building a new battery, which I might resort to, but right now I have a line on a new one that I could pick up for around $20 and shipping. If so, that would bring my outlay to less than 100 dollars. A great bargain! I'm thinking this rig is going to come in really handy during NaNoWriMo this year...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home