Sunday, November 16, 2008

Reading Meme

Well, it's the 16th of November and this is the first meme I've included all month. I think that's pretty good. And this was an interesting one to answer.

Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
Really, I don't remember a time when I didn't read or when reading was not important to me. The library was one of my favorite haunts as a child, and I remember the wonder of the big floor-to-ceiling bookshelf at my grandparents' house, its shelves piled with everything from science and astronomy texts to fiction to art books to field guides. I loved it.

What are some of the books you read as a child?
Well, this could take a while if I answered it in detail. I was never afraid to bring home more library books than I thought I could read in two weeks. I recall some favourites, at different ages, being Edward Eager, Enid Blyton, L.M. Montgomery, Walter Farley (were there ANY Black Stallion books I didn't read?) Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins. On that bookshelf I mentioned there were also old titles like Invisible Scarlett O'Neil, Girls of Silver Spur Ranch and The Casting Away of Mrs. Lecks and Mrs. Aleshine.


What is your favourite genre?

Definitely speculative fiction, although I have an abiding love for well-written mysteries as well. I branch out sometimes with historical fiction, thrillers, YA, chick lit, and the occasional "literary" novel, although I find them generally trite, misery-obsessed and pretentious. I also like non-fiction on topics that interest me, which could be anything at any given time.

Do you have a favourite novel?
Wow, I don't think I could pick one. Some favorites are The Sea and Summer, The Hitchhiker's Guide series, Discworld, and Beggars in Spain, but there are many, many more I love that I'm leaving out.

Where do you usually read?
Anywhere, really.

When do you usually read?
Anytime, although often at bedtime.


Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?

It's not unusual for me to have more than one on the go, especially if they are different genres, or if one is non-fiction.

Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
No.

Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
I don't buy as many as I used to, and I check more out of the library now. Which is probably a good thing, since all our bookshelves are full and there really isn't much space to put more bookshelves.

Do you keep most of the books you buy? If not, what do you do with them?
I do keep most of them, in case I want to re-read or loan them. I should cull more than I do, but it's difficult.

If you have children, what are some of the favourite books you have shared with them? Were they some of the same ones you read as a child?
I've read and recommended a lot of my old favorites to my kids, as their ages match up. Some tastes in reading are not the same though, and books that appealed to me don't stand the test of time with young readers now. My daughter and I often read and enjoy the same newer books now; in fact, we're reading the same copy of the same book right now. That takes some scheduling! I am glad to say that we are a household of readers.

What are you reading now?
City of Bones by Cassandra Clare, and Kiki Strike by Kirsten Miller, and Payback by Margaret Atwood

Do you keep a TBR (to be read) list?
It's more like a stack, which starts on the floor and reaches a little higher than my nightstand. Oh yeah, and it's double-stacked in some spots.

What’s next?
Not sure--possibly Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman, but it will depend on my mood on the day I'm choosing.


What books would you like to reread?

I reread the Douglas Adams books every couple of years, just because they are so much fun and they still make me laugh out loud.


Who are your favourite authors?

In no particular order, Terry Pratchett, Nancy Kress, Connie Willis, Dave Duncan, Jack McDevitt, Elizabeth Moon, Neil Gaiman, Sophie Kinsella and I could go on and on...

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home