Friday, December 22, 2006

Some Holiday Doggerel

A good friend asked for some "cheery" Christmas stories and such, as it's a difficult holiday season for her this year. I dashed off this bit of doggerel in the cause, so I thought I would also share it here:

The Write Before Christmas

'Twas the night before Christmas
I sat and took stock
All month I had suffered
From writerly block

The shopping and wrapping
I'd conquered with ease
But nary a word
From my brain could I squeeze

I thought about Santa
And wishes come true
And suddenly realized
Just what I would do

I'd write him a letter
"Dear Santa," I'd pen,
"Please let the New Year
Get me writing again!"

I typed it up neatly
And spell-checked it through
Tossed it into the fire
Up the chimney it flew

Then hopeful and nervous
I headed to bed
Maybe when I awoke
There'd be scenes in my head

Sometime through the night
I awoke with a start
I could hear rustling noises
And my pounding heart

I tiptoed downstairs
To my office I went
A white-bearded man
O'er my manuscript bent

He muttered and marked
A red pen in his hand
I watched until finally
No more could I stand

"Just what are you doing?"
I asked with a frown
His twinkling blue eyes
Looked me up and down

"It's really quite good,
This story, you know,
So why's it not finished?
There's much more to go."

"I ran out of words,"
I confessed with a sigh
"My letter to you
Was my very last try."

He tsked and he tutted
And shook his white head
"I can't bring you words,
But I'll tell you, instead

How to find inspiration,
Will that be all right?"
I nodded, heart pounding
And hugged myself tight

Could it really be true?
Would the secret be mine?
He moved to the window
And pointed outside

The moonlight spilled down
On the new-fallen snow
"The answer's not out there,
It's in here, you know."

He tapped me, just lightly
On the side of the head
"In your brain and your heart,
Just look there instead.

Whatever is needed
To follow your dreams
You already have it,"
He said, eyes agleam

Don't give up, keep going
He seemed to command
And my manuscript suddenly
Was back in my hands

In a flash he was gone
To the window I flew
Silhouetted, a sleigh
Rode the sky midnight blue

And I think my poor brain
Grew three sizes that day
I suddenly knew
All the things I could say

I looked all around me
This wonderful night
The tree and the presents
The snow cold and white

The candy and ribbons
The bright Christmas lights
I ignored every bit of it
And sat down to write.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home