Friday, March 23, 2007

"Well begun is half done"

Whoever invented that proverb was probably not talking about writing. I have begun my new story, but how can I tell if it's "well begun?" My experience with writing is that most of what you write at the beginning can be lopped off or severely cut down later. However, maybe this is part of the process and writing things you don't need at the beginning is helpful in getting the story grounded firmly in the writer's mind.

Perhaps planning the story in advance helps to make it "well begun." I did that, thinking for a few days, making notes as I like to do, in my notebook for just that purpose. So maybe it is well begun. I hope so, since there's a deadline looming. I've been writing most of the morning and have four pages written--not NaNoWriMo speed but not too shabby, either. Onward!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Alan said...

I often find that writing the story is a case of getting it started in order to get tot the middle and the end. After that I go back and see if the beginning still works. If not, I redo it, from scratch if necessary. But if you don't start, you can't get to the end, therefore... ;-)

10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I decided to jump into my story too, Sherry. I have a little under 1000 words and I'm pleased with that. That's a fifth of the way through. I'm going to try for 500 words a day and see how the story pans out.

Good luck with yours.

8:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home