Thursday, November 08, 2007

Spot The Differences

I was musing this morning about my "perfect" weekday morning scenario: I get up a half-hour before I have to wake the kids, have a peaceful shower, eat my breakfast and get dressed. They've done all their homework the night before, packed up their schoolbags, and laid out the clothes they're going to wear today. When I get them up, they don't complain about having to go to school, eat and dress with alacrity, and amuse themselves until it's time to leave. My husband's schedule meshes perfectly with all of this and there are no collisions of shower or bathroom times, lunch preparations, or anything else. I put the coffeemaker on to perk so it will be all ready for me to pour up when I get home from taking them to school. We all head out the door in a good mood.

The closer-to-the-truth version: I'm too tired to get up early and wake the kids when I get up. My daughter immediately informs me she has nothing to wear, it's gym today, and she hates all her gymwear options. My son opens his eyes and groans, "I thought it was the weekend." I head to the bathroom just as my husband is closing the door and the shower starts up. My daughter's friend calls with the awful news that their sheet of math problems is actually due today, not next week as they thought. My son remembers that his book order is due today and he also needs change for the bake sale. My daughter's lunch isn't packed yet and I'm out of ideas for what to put in it. I have ten seconds to get dressed so I can drive them. My son needs a snack for recess. I have to dry my daughter's hair, which I do with one hand while I'm paging through my son's homework scribbler and signing it. My daughter can't find her glasses. The iron leaks on my husband's pants. I notice that the pants my son is wearing are far too short, but it's too late for him to go and change them. We finally get out the door. On the drive to school, they both inform me that they forgot to brush their teeth.

I start to make coffee when I get home and realize we're out of coffee cream.

These are the days I wish for a "reset" button so we could just try again. ;-)

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home