Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Daft Draft

I told my sister tonight that this is the worst first draft I've ever written--in fact, I said, I should be calling it a "daft," not even a "draft."

However, I'm not letting that little fact get me down. Here's one thing that I've learned in seven years of NaNoWriMo--every novel is different. Not just in content; every novel experience is different. Some flow like water. Some flow like cold molasses uphill, as they say in my part of the world. Some turn out to be not nearly as messy as you first imagined. Some turn out to be, as my old boss used to say, a dog's breakfast.

But, what's the alternative? NOT writing? Is that really better?

I don't think so. So I'll be happy with my daft draft, whatever I have to do with it to make it to the 50k finish line.

Until I get to the rewrite...but there's lots of time to worry about that.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home