Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Life-Changing Books

In response to a high-school English teacher who wants her students to read something "life-changing" but seems to have very narrow ideas of what might fit that category, I'm doing a little research. I would love to hear from anyone on this.

Have you ever read a book (or books) that you would consider "life-changing"? By that I guess I mean, a book that affected you deeply, or changed your view of the world, or your understanding of human nature, or made you think about life in a different way--or anything along those lines.

Send me your answers any way you'd like--comment here, send me an email, catch me on Facebook or Twitter, whatever. I'd just like to hear some opinions. You don't have to explain how the book affected you unless you want to--just tell me title and author if you want (although of course I'd love to hear more!).

Thanks! I'm looking forward with interest to your answers.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Brian said...

In my experience, books have been not so much life changing, but rather they amplified current feelings at the time. For example, when I was thirteen, I read "Bridge over Terabithia" and it was a nuclear bomb in my world. It was the first book that made me cry out loud. Sure, I cried for the characters but I was really crying at the end of my own childhood.

Other such books have been "The Bell Jar", "War of the Worlds", "Baudolino", and "The Time Traveler's Wife".

9:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home