Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Fear of Writing

There actually is a website called Fear of Writing, but that's not what the title of this post is about. I suppose it's not actually "fear of writing" that I'm even going to talk about, since the writing is certainly progressing. But I think it's fear of something. I can't seem to get to the end of this novel.

I mean, I want to get to the end. I'm trying very hard to get to the end, even though this is a bad week with a lot of other things going on, and with Halloween on the horizon the next couple of weeks don't look much better. I'm still managing to write pretty much every day, something, and some days a good bit of something. I'm close to the end. I can see the climax on the horizon. But man, it is a long road to get there.

So it's got me wondering; is there something in my subconscious that is trying to keep me from getting there? Because once I have the first draft finished, I know that this manuscript will be very close to being really finished. There's polishing to be done, certainly, and probably some inconsistencies to iron out. But it's not one of those manuscripts that needs a lot of work adding or taking out subplots or completely reworking story threads. It's not going to go through many more incarnations before it starts getting to publishers.

Therefore I am considering the possibility that it's either fear of failure or fear of success that's stringing this story out. Which, I don't know. I guess I'll have to hope I come up with the answer to that one later. After it's done.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some quotes on my blog, one of them is from Albert Einstein. He said: Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Whatever it is you fear, it's better to take the bull by the proverbial horns than to sit around wondering "what if..." isn't it?

Good luck, anyway. Whatever happens, you'll have learned something important from the whole process.

12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home