Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Beleaguered

I am beleaguered by a person that I'm becoming quite convinced is crazy. Not the wacky kind of "steps to a different drummer" kind of crazy, but a true mental psychosis. And I really don't know what to do about it.

This person is getting to the point that I don't think they* can function on their own any longer. Their understanding of reality is fine for some things (such as having to pay the rent on time), but they also live largely in a fantasy world. I'm not sure that they understand the consequences of all their actions. I'm not sure they are capable of dealing with things like banks and businesses. I also think that in the past they might have been on medication but that this is no longer the case.

It impacts me because this person often asks for favors from me: a drive here or there, sometimes money although I do not give it. In the past I haven't minded giving a bit of help when I could, but now I am increasingly reluctant to have anything to do with this person. I don't think they are dangerous, but one never knows. Unfortunately, living in a town as small as mine, it's impossible to avoid them altogether.

I could call the social work department and express my concerns, but I don't know A) if they would discuss this person with me at all or B) if it would do any good. Do I want to get involved? Can I simply ignore it? All very confusing.

*Sigh* I wish people would just leave me alone and let me write.

*I'm using "they" in a grammatically incorrect way here, I know, but I don't really want to identify the person's gender and this is (perhaps sadly) the most efficient way to do it. My apologies if this is offensive to the grammatically strict. Normally I'm one of them myself, but hey, it's my blog, I'll break the rules when I want to, I guess.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an unpleasant situation to be in. I had a "friend" who behaved in the way you describe and her fantasy world began to include me. I managed to break contact with her, which was relatively easy since I was on the other side of the world but also surprisingly difficult because she was very, very persistent. I don't know what to advise, except to take care! I find social services don't seem to do much but it is worth contacting them.

By the way, as far as I know "they" is grammatically correct, especially in a descriptive grammar. It is mentioned as correct in one of my grammar books, anyway.

6:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home