Friday, November 16, 2007

The Clothesline Debate

Photo by cohdra
It seems the "clothesline debate" is on again in certain parts of Canada. Ontario's Minister for conservation has made a recommendation that the province move ahead with legislation that would effectively negate all restrictive covenants that disallow clotheslines in subdivisions, condominiums, etc.

Personally, I think this is a good thing. The misguided sense of asthetics or false modesty that prompted these restrictions in the first place is outdated. Conservation has to be the overriding concern, and I think people who would like to save money and energy by drying their clothes naturally should have the option to do so. In a world where we are constantly bombarded by advertising for feminine products and sex-enhancing medications, some people are offended by the sight of clean underwear? Give me a break. People who argue that clotheslines have a negative effect on property values just aren't living in the real world.

To tell the truth, I don't even particularly like line-dried clothes. However, it was my intention to put up a clothesline this summer in order to enhance the green shade of my ecological footprint. I confess I didn't get the job done, but it's still on the list for next spring.

The clothesline was a constant in my childhood. We had one, my grandmother had one; everyone did. In the springtime a man would always come around door-to-door selling new clothespoles, the back of his truck piled with straight, smooth poles, stripped of bark, and nicely notched on one end to hold the line. Sheets and towels would always be flapping and snapping in the breeze, and I do remember the lovely outdoor scent if you buried your (hopefully clean) face in them. I didn't mind hanging out the clothes, but I never liked the chore of bringing them in--having to shake each piece vigorously to dislodge any tenacious spiders!

The radio discussion included one of the authors of a book about clotheslines, which I believe was this one: "The Clothesline" by Andrea VanSteenhouse and Irene Rawlings. I'll have to double-check the CBC website later to make sure I have this right. At any rate, it sounded like an interesting and fun book of reminiscences and photos. I'm thinking I'll check the library for it (when I have time to read again!).

Thanks to cohdra for the lovely clothespins photo!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dixie Amazon said...

The restrictions are riduculus. There is a site with more information call Project Laundry List.
http://www.laundrylist.org

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home