Friday, November 16, 2007

A little self-expression...

I was visiting my friend Nancy's blog the other day and it was sporting a shiny new widget that lets one splash paint around a la Jackson Pollock. Here's the masterpiece I created. I rather like it. My first try, I wasn't keen on the colors I was randomly assigned, but this one attracts me.

I won't get into the "is it art?" debate because in essence, the question doesn't much matter to me. I think what matters is that it's personal expression, which is to be valued for its own sake. Goodness knows there are enough people in society whose outlook on life might be vastly improved if they expressed themselves through the arts once in a while. I also tend to try and take a larger view on these issues--is anyone going to care in a thousand years if it was art or not?

Yes, I am rather opinionated lately, aren't I? I'll blame it on the whole posting every day thing. But maybe both self-expression and posting every day are good for the soul.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Unity said...

I was interested in your comment "I think what matters is that is's personal expression, which is to be valued for its own sake."

That is the definition of art - what the Artist sees and what the viewer tries to see through the Artist's expression.

Congratulations, you understand the fundamentals of what art is - and you had fun.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Nancy said...

Brava!
I couldn't have said it better.

~ Nancy

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Call me crazy...

I really love it! The colors are cool and the blue and purple squiqqles look fun.

Better than a lot of contemporary art I've seen recently.

Good Job!!!!!

:)

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home