Thursday, November 03, 2005

Off and writing!

mood: positive
music: Daughters of the Celtic Moon by Lisa Lynne

------------------------------------------
Well, my lack of planning notwithstanding, my NaNoWriMo project is off to a pretty good start. Of course, it's only Day Three, but I'm ahead on my word count, some things have fallen into place, and the stage is set for more unexpected developments over the course of the month.

One thing that really helped was stumbling upon an essay by Holly Lisle, about storybuilding via map-making. After reading it I sat down and started making a map of my world, using the method she advocates. An hour or so later I had a world, some history, and a much better grounding for the story. Suddenly I could see how many of the vague ideas I'd had for the story were going to develop. I highly recommend taking a look if you're stuck or just starting to think about a new idea.

My daughter is also doing well with her Young Writers NaNo--she's ahead on word count and eagerly sitting down to write every evening. My five-year-old has caught the bug and is also insisting on dictating a story of his own to me. It's quite a literary household at the moment!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home