Monday, February 25, 2008

Second Life

Over the past couple of weeks I've been delving into Second Life again. Over a year ago I made an account, just to see what it was like. At that time I couldn't figure out a lot to do and decided it probably wasn't for me.

This time, though, I'm realizing what a lot of opportunities there are. I've joined some writing groups, landmarked a lot of cool places I want to visit, loaded my character up with free stuff and spent hours trying on clothes (come on, I'm a girl, after all). I have a couple of RL friends who are doing the same thing and we're having a ball figuring things out together.

I can see how some people could get totally addicted to it. For non-gamers, it offers many of the things that more traditional MMORPG's do, but without the goal-oriented parameters of most games. Some traditional gamers can't understand the attraction, but I can see it. Many of the same benefits in a different format. And for people with problems in "real life" it really does offer a different, "second life" for them to escape into.

Personally, I'm not looking for an escape, but I'm happy to join in the fun, meet other writers, visit interesting places, and generally hang out. There's certainly lots to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home