Monday, February 12, 2007

More Green Thoughts

I came across some more ideas for living in a more environmentally friendly way at an unusual place the other day, on the website for HSBC bank. They have a "what you can do" page for their Commit to Change program which is worth a visit. One new idea I got from the site:

> When making hot drinks--don't boil more water than you need. This saves both water and energy.

Then I got to thinking, if you do overestimate, make sure you use the extra water on plants or save it for use later (for washing or cooking vegetables, for instance)--don't pour it back down the drain.

I've also been reading up on Carbon Neutrality. There's a load of great information on David Suzuki's site. I'm investigating some of the options listed there, such as carbon offsets.

However, I was dismayed to have it pointed out (I'm ashamed to say it never crossed my mind before) that the publishing industry is a terrible drain on the environment, in terms of both energy and paper. Fortunately, there are some options for authors who would like to publish in a "greener" way, as talked about at ZeroFootprint. I think I'll be looking into it more.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home